Dec 2, 2010

駅弁 eki ben

Bento sold at station, called eki ben.

The guy in the right was selling eki ben at Hakodate sta. in Hokkaido when I visit there last year end.

In Japan, you can find so many kinds of eki ben. Eating eki ben when you visit the region is one of the attractions of the trip. Eki ben is normally made with ingredients which are particular in the region.

My favorite eki ben is Tooge no kamameshi --> http://eki-ben.web.infoseek.co.jp/10gunma_yokokama.htm#yokokama

K
amameshi is "rice cooked with vegetables and chicken in a small individual pot". I remember I ate this tooge no kamameshi when I was young. In winters, my family used to go ski by a train, and it stops at Yokokawa sta. for about 5mins and people rush to the platform to buy this kamameshi. It was kind a thrilling and enjoyable moment. :)

Nowadays, you can buy many kinds of eki ben at department store. haha.
New Vocab:
駅弁 えきべん box lunch sold at railway stations
駅 えき eki: station
弁当 べんとう bentoo: box lunch (it not necessary to be a "lunch" though);p

-Kazue
Learn Japanese Effectively: http://learnjapanese123.com

No comments:

Post a Comment